Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Giving Tree & book review from Vanness

(above) Vanness with the library book after reading the previous blog entry.

Wow, Vanness has borrowed the book from the public library so soon after he read the blog about this book.

Book Review from Vanness
I love the story because it is interesting. The tree loved a little boy and the boy kept asking the tree for things; some things the tree did not have. When the boy was getting older, he kept chopping down the tree. After that, the tree did not have anything left.


Some ideas for all of you who want to share your book review or reflection on the story you read.

1. Write a poem on the story.

2. Write your own story (with the same title "The Giving Tree" in Vanness' case)

3. Design a comic strip (with 4 frames) to summarise the story.

4. Tell us (in writing) why other children should read this book too.

5. List 5-10 things you have learnt from the story (e.g. I've learnt to be generous to people; I want to remember those who are helpful and kind to me, I've learnt how to use the word 'gigantic' to make sentences, etc.)

6. Choose your favourite sentence(s) or passage(s) from the story and tell us why you like it.

7. Tell us why you like or don't like the story. Give three reasons to explain your preference.


You can also go to these websites to download and print your preferred Book Review Forms.

Complete it and give it to me so that your sharing can be scanned and uploaded to the blog!

1. Click here OR.

2. Click Book Recommendation form OR

3. Click Fairy Tale Book Report OR

4. Click Fiction Book Report OR

5. Click Simple Book Review OR

Note: 2 to 5 are from this website.


Not sure how to write and what to include in your Book Review? You can read submissions by children who like their books here.

Don't worry too much about your grammar and/or spelling as you write your review or reflection. The most important thing is to express your views (what you think).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Miss Woo for the ideas on how a reflection on a book should be written. At least it provide some guide for the children and mummy as well. I am also taking this opportunity to thank you for creating this blog for our kids also the parents. It had been very useful for us as a parents to be able to share what the children has been through in school. I am always looking forward to read your blog every day. Have a nice weekend!:D

misswoo said...

Hi Janus

Thank you too, for sharing with me about your sentiments. I am also very encouraged when I see some of the children making the trip to the library to borrow books that I recommend. It gives me a new mission for this blog, especially during this post-exam period. Really appreciate your comment. Do share with me what you as a parent would like to see on this class blog or how I could enhance the effectiveness of this blog for our children. I thank God for you!